Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wood working

It's been too long. A busy six months later, we write a new blog post. For Christmas, John Derian gave Caitlyn and I some decorative plates: A "C", an "&", and a "P". When we got them, Cait couldn't stop saying how much she wished we had a coffee table to put them on. So...I decided I wanted to make one. Andrew Wright from our ward has a great woodshop and has told me he wouldn't mind me coming over to use it. With his permission, Cait and I went over and made a nice coffee table. Andrew had mentioned that at Lowe's, they have bundles of wood that are partially damaged (out of a bundle of 15 pieces of lumber maybe 1 is broken). The bundles are 90% off if they have been out over 2 weeks. Apparently nobody knows about the deal because we got a $100 of wood for just over 10 bucks.
The coffee table was a success, so we decided not to stop there. Over the past couple saturdays I went a built a little entertainment center for our little tv, a bookshelf, and an end table. We spent less than a hundred dollars for everything: the wood, the stain, and all the other little things.
I really like doing things like this. Just hope I can have a shop like that sometime in the future!





No comments:

Post a Comment